10.16.2013

a little more north










During the first week of our vacation, Rick and I headed up North to his Uncle's place on Georgian Bay. He built a beautiful holiday home right on the water in a little town near Collingwood – a major ski destination for those in Ontario. During the off-season, it's a gorgeous retreat away from the everyday. It's quiet and tucked back amongst towering trees and the backyard is essentially the view of the water pictured above. Depending on the time of day and the weather, sometimes the water would be right by the house, and others, back by the rocky edge before it gets too deep. I find it fascinating that the tides can change so quickly. It made for some great exploring. The weather was perfect, and on our last day, it was cool enough to light a fire indoors. The back of the house was designed with huge 2-story windows (which you see in photo 11) so you can see the water from nearly anywhere in the house. It was the perfect view to wake up to each morning! Just being near the water makes you feel a hundred times more relaxed. During the day we visited nearby towns, had breakfast at the bakery, and enjoyed some pretty amazing dinners. I can't wait to visit again when it's cold and snowy outside – I have some severe fireplace envy now. Would it be too much to knock down a wall in our house to build one?Sometimes I forget how beautiful Ontario can be. You get used to seeing blogger's photos from Paris or Rome, or pretty little towns in the States with deep rooted history, that it's hard to think of Ontario as beautiful. We're so used to it. We may not have the history, but we definitely have the land. Just 3 hours North, and we can vacation on the water and the mountains. A perfect little getaway.


11 comments:

  1. i have fallen in love with your blog - your photos are beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I don't see your posts that often but when I do it is all so lovely. The land can be just as beautiful, or sometimes more than the history - I know that, coming from Norway. Ontario seems just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! It can be so hard sometimes to find the beauty in your regular surroundings. I am hoping to post more regularly too :) Sometimes I end up taking breaks, lol.

      Delete
  3. this looks so peaceful! coming from winnipeg, i know exactly what you mean. home often doesn't seem too beautiful or exciting, but then sometimes it surprises me.

    also, i love your title on the first photo. it works so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally it, when I see photos of Paris I just yearn for that kind of history and attention to detail in the architecture. But I suppose it's that "grass is always greener" syndrome, lol...

      Delete
  4. These photographs are truly stunning. It really does look like the most amazing place to escape the every day and unwind. I find the older I get, the more appealing that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love a little getaway, be it a week or a weekend, anywhere near the water is so refreshing to reset a little.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photographs of such a marvelous place.

    I live in Owen Sound, and count myself blessed every day by the beauty of what surrounds me. Wonderful stone and sand beaches, fields, caves, orchards, quaint towns... it really is a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's exactly those type of places I love exploring. We really are lucky, it's easy to forget sometimes!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful looking place! I have the same feeling, of forgetting how beautiful things are where I live. Northern BC is a little less populated than Ontario, but this post gives me inspiration to go out and find the beautiful things here.

    ReplyDelete