8.22.2013

close to home

I've been on a real "local" kick lately. I know, it's such a trend (insert eye-roll here) but it just makes sense. Although, I wish it was more of a year-round thing. Living in Canada, the farmer's markets and farm stands/stores are abundant with all kinds of delicious, local produce, but come Winter, well, nothing grows in the snow except our beloved Christmas trees. I've been on the hunt, looking for close-by farm stands that are open year-round, with the hope that just maybe I can still buy local, (apples, root vegetables, potatoes) and somehow get real creative with different recipes. (One can't tire of apple pie, right?)

For now though, Fall has yet to arrive, and all of Summer's produce has at least another month or so! Rick and I discovered two new places, one selling this delicious Guernsey cow milk made from a local farm (most milk is made from a mix of different supplied Holstein milk), and another selling all kinds of local year-round meat and available produce. I feel so much better about consuming food grown around our home, rather than flown in from Chile or New Zealand. I'll take mixed greens from California every once and a while, but does Ontario really need apples from New Zealand? It's insane when there's three apple farms within 10–30 minutes of our home. They taste better and the nutritional value is higher having not spent days being transported and jostled around. It'll require more planning to visit each different place for different items, but it's worth it to me. Our fridge and pantry is full of local, healthy goodies and I couldn't be happier about it. Plus I love visiting different farms. It's fun to go, even if we're not buying much.

Do you shop locally? Can you taste the difference? What would you say your area's best produce is? I'd say we have a lot of corn and apples!

11 comments:

  1. Mmm... guernsey milk! Such flavour compared to the regular holstein (I think it's the high fat content but we won't think about that! ;)

    I agree with you – the freshness and flavour of local food just can't be beat! So glad to be living in a community surrounded by farmers with such an abundance and variety of food right here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Even if it higher in fat, there's a lot more nutrition than regular milk too I hear. We like it! I like the Harmony milk too, but the Golden Guernsy is available just down the rod from us! Well, at least until October. I am just discovering so many little places near us! Lots to choose from!

      Delete
  2. Since we moved to an area of New York that is farms and more farms... we buy local all the time.
    But I also did that when we were living in Buenos Aires. The produce market on our corner , trucked in the produce from their farm every morning ... so local and fresh has been a part of our diet/lives for years now.
    I taste the difference sometimes, NY State has fabulous farms so all the produce and corn and don't forget the apples are great !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to have a produce market like that just around the corner. So handy! I love the local farm stand down the road from us, but they close up come Fall when there's not much to sell. It's such a cute place too.

      Delete
  3. Yes!

    Belgium is such a small country so everything we produce is considered 'local': meat, milk, vegetables...

    Luckily, I live next door to an organic vegetable shop. Their vegetable patch is just around the block :)
    I also have my own garden with potatoes, lettuce, pumpkins,...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're exploring the area in this way...I'd like to do more of it myself. In the summer, my parent's backyard becomes the grocery aisle for me...I keep telling them to get chickens but in the city that's kind of not allowed lol...or else they probably would.

    That milk looks so delicious...going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! We keep getting tons of stuff from Rick's parents garden too. The fresh cucumbers and basil are amazing. Are your parents in Kitchener? Jeff (a co-worked of mine) is in the city and they have chickens in their backyard, lol! Although, all their neighbours don't mind.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh. All summer we eat from our own gardens and then do lots of canning for the winter months. Around here, the grocery store actually carries local produce. It costs more, but its better. Tomatoes, green beans, squash, corn. The list is endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must learn how to can things. The thing is, I hate pickled items and it seems like a lot of veggies are pickled to preserve them. Fruit I love though. Jam would be nice too!

      Delete
  6. I agree locally grown produce make so much more sense. I live in the beautiful Pennsylvania and during the summer indulge and try to keep the feel year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. Lucky you have the option year-round!

      Delete