8.27.2013

baking bread


This past weekend I tried baking my very first loaf of bread. I admit, it's an intimidating process to me... taking water and flour and essentially turning it into something whole. I love baking, and find it much easier than cooking, but baking bread seemed on a whole other level. I'm not sure why. Even though it takes a while (4.5 hours for me from start to finish), it's well worth the effort. There's something very satisfying about making such a basic item for yourself, instead of getting it store-bought. Let's be realistic though... it's not like i'll be baking every loaf of bread from here on out, but i'm just glad it worked. Well, 90% worked... the other 10% ended up being a large whole under the top of the loaf. Regardless, for my first attempt i'm calling it a success! Next time i'll be sure to really press down after folding the dough.

I've come across quite a few recipes for bread, but this is the only one that actually had me feeling confident enough to try out... Honey Whole Wheat Bread via Local Milk. Beth makes the whole process seems somewhat magical – and doable! I highly recommend trying this out if it's your first attempt.

Have you baked your own bread? What are some of your favourite recipes? I'd love to try a large, round crusty loaf next.

10 comments:

  1. It looks like you did a wonderful job! I've only baked bread a few times and I really can relate to how rewarding it feels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! It would have been great without the hole in the top, but it worked! Tasted great too. I'll have to try again soon.

      Delete
  2. I love bread baking. That yeasty smell that fills the whole kitchen, there's nothing like it and I can't get enough of it. It's great your first attempt came out so well. Don't get down when a bake goes wrong like I did in the beginning. I was overly ambitious, had absolutely no idea what I was doing and no one to help me (the Internet back then wasn't very helpful). I was put off by bread baking for a couple of years until I started watching too many British cookery shows that they inspired me to try again. Now I know bread is an exact science, the types of flours used matter, and that salt and yeast don't like each other (salt attacks the yeast so keep them separated when putting ingredients together).

    My favorite recipes mostly come from the King Arthur Flour site, my mecca for all things bread. Most of their recipes have been tested to death, and if you have a problem, you can always call them for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually stumbled across the King Arthur site for help when I was wondering what "creamy" yeast should look like. Very helpful! Sounds like you have lots of experience! I'll have to try it out again soon.

      Delete
  3. Mmm I'm inspired to bake bread again - I haven't done that at all this summer! This isn't new, but I love Jim Lahey's no-knead bread method. Pretty foolproof! But, if you like the whole process of kneading and rolling, the no-knead bread may not be as fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I didn't do too much baking during the Summer either. It gets too warm for it. But Fall is arriving soon, and I can't wait wait to try a few new things. I've seen a few no-knead recipes, i'll have to give it a go too!

      Delete
  4. Good for you! That loaf looks delicious! I feel the same way about baking bread. It's so intimidating! I finally convinced myself to try it a few months back and it turned out (somewhat) okay. :) I felt very domestic and accomplished with my crusty loaf of bread!

    I'll definitely be giving Beth's recipe a try though...I'm sure it's divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really nice! I recently started making my own bread also, I made a Rosemary and Sea Salt focaccia and it turned out really great. I agree that it can be incredibly intimidating making a loaf, I kept checking on it to make sure it was rising, haha I was so nervous! Really nice post. :)

    ✿ Emily | Honey Loaf xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try baking bread, but would have to get my nerve up first. I did bake a round loaf of Irish soda bread one time that was stupid simple. I ex loved it, but I thought it was tough. I should try again.

    ReplyDelete