7.09.2013

fields of lavender







This past weekend I visited two absolutely gorgeous lavender farms. It was threatening to thunderstorm all morning with dark clouds hanging overhead, but we decided to head out anyway. We were greeted with lemonade and shortbread spiked with tiny purple buds, and headed into the field to pick some of our own. The bees happily buzzed along, as we collected a few bouquets of dark and light purple blooms with a little bit of white. Tied with a satin ribbon, it's the perfect little bundle to take with you, not to mention the way it scents the inside of your car on the way home. Seriously amazing! It makes me wonder why I haven't already lined our backyard with rows of lavender.

I also bought a few sachets of loose, dry buds, which I plan of using in the bath. I mix epsom salts with a handful of lavender buds in a jar and scoop a little into the bath as i'm running the warm water. With a few drops of pure lavender oil, it's like your very own home-spa treatment. The best way to relax after a long day.

Lavender is only in bloom until the end of July (at least here) and then they harvest it all to create lavender oil and other products, so if you'd like to pick some of your own I'd try to get out over the next few weekends. It's become a much-loved Summer tradition of mine!

Have you picked your own lavender before?

11 comments:

  1. I've never picked my own lavender however it is not too late! Fantastic photography.

    www.BlackandOlives.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine those farms smell like heaven. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lavender farms! There's one near us and I always pick up their strawberry lavender jam, yum!

    Dannielle | Chic-a-Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. how lovley! one of my goals is to cook with fresh lavendar this summer. i have yet to accomplish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely!!

    christian | my blog :
    www.christianyuen.blogspot.com
    greetings from hong kong
    peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous!!! I would love this kind of outing!!! I'm obsessed with lavender.

    ReplyDelete