6.24.2013

how to spoil your pup


If you follow me on Instagram, you'll note I posted a picture of homemade doggie treats that I made for Scout a couple weekends ago. She had just graduated her grade one training, so I thought i'd make something special! Sure, she has no idea what 'graduation' or the sentiment means, but she sure knows her treats and will whip out tricks before I even get one out of the jar, lol.

I adapted this recipe from a super cute book by Bubba Rose, which you can purchase here. It's full of great ideas to treat your pup and special recipes for the holidays. I used dog bone cookie cutters in two sizes, that were purchased from the Bulk Barn if you're looking for your own. Otherwise you could just use any ol' shape or simply cut squares with a knife (I might do this next time – much faster). Keep in mind these treats need to stay in the fridge, since they're fresh and more of a soft cookie. Scout LOVED these and i'm sure your pup will too! I packaged up some treats for friend's dogs (since there was no way Scout could eat that many in a week or so, lol), and was happy to hear that one so-called picky eater snapped these up in no time.

Apple Cinnamon Puppy Treats (wheat-free)

1 cup of oat flour
1 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of oat bran (pictured above)
1 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
2 tablespoons of honey
1 egg
1/2 cup water
Couple dashes of cinnamon

Now here comes the fun part... just mix together all the ingredients above and judge how your dough has come together. Too sticky? Add more flour. Too dry? Add more water. Just use rough amounts of each until you get a good consistency to roll and cut out cookies, without sticking or crumbling apart. I ended up using almost another cup of flour, and a little more oat bran. The great thing though, is that it doesn't matter what you add! Your pup will love the taste regardless. Easy, peasy. Do make sure to buy unsweetened apple sauce though. You don't want any extra sugars!

Hope your puppy likes them!

Note: The ingredients above were approved for dogs in the Bubba Rose Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook, so I was comfortable giving them to my own dog. If you're unsure, check with your vet on what ingredients are ok for your breed of dog to ingest.

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I love spoiling my dog, I am positive he loves when I do. Definitely going to try this!

    Always,
    Mostly Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I definitely plan on making these for my dog. He will absolutely love them!

    xo Emily | Honey Loaf

    ReplyDelete