2.09.2013

un petit goûter

Last year I purchased a small madeleine pan from a restaurant supply store nearby. I've been wanting to make some ever since, and decided this weekend I finally have to give it a try. As it turns out, yesterday was the perfect day after getting snowed in. Somehow inclement weather and baking go hand in hand.

The recipe was fairly easy, with some wait time to allow the batter to chill. Even though they came out a little "rustic" looking let's call it, they were absolutely delicious. This recipe calls for the zest and juice of an orange, but next time I think I'll try lemon. I find there's a big difference between orange and lemon zest, and I was looking for that citrus tartness of lemon. My only other issue was actually getting the madeleines out of the pan. Even after buttering the pan and dusting with flour, they're a little difficult to get out. I suppose I'll just need more practice, right? ;)

Have you made madeleine cookies before? I'd love to know any tips or recipes you love.

Recipe adapted from The Cook's Atelier

10 comments:

  1. these look fantastic. mmm would love to try these goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - use TONS of butter on the pan, not just in the shells, but across the top too.
    - I use a fork to lift them out of the pan
    - I use rosewater sometimes, but not too much
    - almond extract can also be lovely

    I sometimes forego the normal Madeline recipe, and use this champagne cake recipe instead: http://www.bananawonder.com/2011/12/champagne-tea-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, maybe I didn't use quite enough butter on the tops... that's true! I'll have to check out that other recipe as wel... Thanks Domanique!

      Delete
  3. I have had a lot of experience with making madeleines and I'm afraid it isn't just practice you need to get them out of a traditional pan. You really must purchase one of the non-stick madeleine pans that they sell at Williams-Sonoma or any good kitchen store. You still must butter and flour this type as well but you will produce beautiful small cakes that will pop right out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen those pans too... worth a shot I guess!

      Delete
  4. Yum! they look so good! I love dipping mine in a little bit of chocolate too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madeleines are delicious. I've only ever tried with lemon zest, which I think is what they are traditionally made with. Rachel Khoo from Little Paris Kitchen adds a rasberry on top and lemon curd- amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm they would be great with raspberry and lemon curd!

      Delete