1.21.2013

coq au vin

Over the weekend I made coq au vin for the first time, using our new french oven. I've been wanting to try making some classic french dishes and I couldn't have started with a better pick. The recipe is from The Cook's Atelier (a favourite blog of mine), and is absolutely flawless. It's the first recipe i've tried where everything came together exactly as expected. For some that might seem silly, but baking has always been more of my thing. Hopefully the next dish I try (i'm thinking beef bourginon) turns out just as delicious.

Coq au vin
(Adapted from The Cook's Atelier for two servings)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 slices of smoked bacon, cut into lardons
2 large chicken breasts
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups dry white wine
1 bouquet garni (4 sprigs thyme, a small bunch of parsley, and 1 bay leaf)
2 cups chicken stock

For the Mushrooms

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large handful of sliced mushrooms

Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I used curly parsley)

Heat oil in a heavy, large pot (wide enough to hold the chicken in a single layer) over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and sauté until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small bowl.

Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, until golden brown (do not turn), about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pot. Cook the garlic, onion and carrots over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes (mine took 10). Add the wine and boil, uncovered, until reduced by about half, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot, browned side up, add the bacon and the bouquet garni. Cover with stock and simmer, partially covered, until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes (mine took 35).

While the chicken is cooking, prepare the mushrooms. Place a skillet over high heat with the butter and extra-virgin olive oil. As soon as the butter foam has begun to subside, which indicates it is hot enough, add the mushrooms. Toss and shake the pan for 4 to 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms to the pot and bring to a simmer, basting the chicken with the sauce. Cover and simmer slowly for 4 to 5 minutes to incorporate the flavors. Adjust the seasoning and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve from the pot or arrange on a hot platter with creamy mashed potatoes.

Note: I boiled some yellow potatoes during the simmering process in another pot and then added the cooked potatoes to the chicken pot during the last half of simmering. They were great right in the sauce with the carrots, mushrooms, and chicken.

8 comments:

  1. Le Creuset is my fave line of cookware so that pic caught my eye! This recipe sounds amazing and perfect to try on a freezing cold day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a definite must for a cold Winter's night!

      Delete
  2. Same here. Le Creuset caught my eye ... I'll be trying your recipe this week. Sounds simple and easy to follow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT. I got some le creuset for Christmas and this is the exact colour I wanted, but they didn't have it int he store my boyfriend got it from so I have the equally as nice blue/grey colour. I am a little jealous of your cobalt blue! I might make this at the weekend actually. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne, what a coincidence! This colour is actually called Marseilles. Le Creuset discontinued the Colbalt blue colour in exchange for this new one. We had to actually order a lot of the pieces we wanted in while they're stocking the new colour everywhere. I prefer it though, it much more saturated. If you reeeeally love the previous blue, now's the time to pick it up!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness I need to get one of these. That recipe sounds absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was reeeeally good. No doubt about it. You could make it in a deep pan with a lid too probably!

      Delete
  5. I adore coq au vin, this recipe sound delicious... xv

    http://vickiarcher.com

    ReplyDelete