1.27.2013

beef bourguignon

I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, conquering Julia Child's beef bourguignon would be on it. It seems like a dish that one should try and cook at least once in their life.

I started off pretty much intimidated by the whole thing. Not gonna lie.

There's a lot of steps (well, to me), including two seperate recipes (though basic) for the mushrooms and the mini onions. Half way through peeling 18 of them I started to wonder whether or not they were worth it. (They were.)

From prep to plate it took about 4 1/2 hours. Julia's tips such as drying the beef with papers towels so it browns properly really made a difference. Step-by-step it all came together, in this delicious concoction of savory flavours only slow-cooking could possibly create. It was so, so good. Rick loved it, and there's plenty more for dinner tomorrow night. Well worth the wait!

I'm starting to think the Le Creuset oven is magic.

Note: I was going to include the recipe here, but it's easily found just by googling "Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon."

13 comments:

  1. Ooh I'd love to try it. Not sure I have the patience when the Canadian Living version is so delicious. I might have to do it just to compare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely time consuming! But it was a good Sunday dish. I might have to look up the Cdn Living one... see what that's like.

      Delete
  2. Someday I would love to try this recipe too. I found an old copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a thrift store and love to flip through it mapping out the recipes I would love to attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even perused all the recipes in my book yet. Lots to choose from!

      Delete
  3. Mmm. I haven't made that much out of The Art of French Cooking, but now I'm inspired. If you're looking for other magical things to make in your Le Creuset, I'd suggest this no-knead bread recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I didn't even think of the bread opportunities. I just might have to try this!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to try this too! Glad it was worth the effort!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is fantastic-- and inspiring! i have a short list of "must-trys" in the kitchen, and this is at the top. reading that you were able to conquer it makes it seem more attainable. will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been recording black and white programs of Julia Child cooking. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. French cooking?! Very cool! Teach me what you learn!? :)

    http://www.meredithsledgeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beef bourguignon, its delicious with celeriac mash. The secret is to have it the next day, it tastes so much better once the flavours have blended and mellowed.

    ReplyDelete