12.11.2012

lately...

Lately there's been a lot of festiveness happening around our house. I've been trying my best to make it as cozy as possible, creating what I hope will be holiday traditions along the way. This past Sunday Rick and I headed out to Will's Christmas Tree Farm where we were wagoned out to a field of 8000 trees to have our pick! We both have never had a real tree at Christmas before so it was pretty exciting cutting down our first one (well, Rick did the cutting). We made it home with a beautiful Fraser Fir strapped to the roof of the car, where it cleared just a mere 6 inches from the ceiling of our livingroom. The scent of fresh pine is amazing, and somehow, it feels more like a "traditional" Christmas (whatever that is in my head). We decked it out in pretty white lights, popcorn strings, and glass ornaments in red, green and white, with a wooden star up top. Now i'm just keeping my eye out for vintage wooden ornaments to add each year – classic items that can hopefully be used for years to come.

Along with the tree there's been baking (shortbread and scones), extra tree limbs arching over windows, nutcrackers set out to keep watch, silver bells tied to doors, stockings hung, hot chocolate and marshmallows, Christmas movies with champagne in hand, roasted chestnuts, presents ready to wrap, and planning for Christmas Day (which will be at our house!).

I'd say December is shaping up pretty well. How have you been?

5 comments:

  1. I had a big adventure to get my tree, too! I will blog it soon. Sounds like you decked yours out good and proper! :) Cheers from London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, can't wait to read about it! I think it'll become a holiday tradition for us now, getting a real tree!

      Delete
  2. I have been craving shortbread for a week. What is it about this season that, even here in the sunny Southern Hemisphere, seems to call for shortbread?

    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I never make shortbread any other time of the year. Something about the buttery goodness coincides with Christmas so well.

      Delete
  3. How beautiful! Same here, never make shortbread except for Christmas. This year I'm making plenty of extra dough to send home in gift bags from a Christmas party. Fingers crossed it spreads some cheer!

    ReplyDelete