12.18.2012

a christmas tradition...

Each year my Mother and I try to attend the local Nutcracker Ballet. It's one of my favourite things about the season, and even though it's a small production, it's just as magical. This year, I got her tickets to The Nutcracker performed by the National Ballet of Canada, at the Four Seasons Centre in Toronto. I am beyond excited.

While the NBofC didn't premiere The Nutcracker until 1952, this year actually marks the 120th anniversary of the ballet itself, since its very first performance in 1892, in St. Petersburg, Russia. It's a timeless classic that I hope to enjoy for years to come. I love the music, the costumes, and the elegance of each dancer, and can't wait to witness it all again this year.

Have you gone to see The Nutcracker Ballet? I'd love to see all the different performance around the world!

(Photo: The National Ballet of Canada)

12 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to see the National Ballet perform the Nut Cracker. I keep telling Nate he has to take me...looks like I'll have to make it a trip with girlfriends sometime! Enjoy watching with your mom...and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you should totally go Kinga! If not, I think Romeo & Juliet is starting in the new year, that's be a great one too! Trying to convince Rick to go to that one, lol. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for Sofia to be old enough to take her to see the Nutcracker. I've seen it with my mom a few times in Kiev when I used to live there, and I'd love to see it performed by the National Ballet of Canada too! Have a great time with your mom, i am sure it will be fantastic!
    p.s. When I was growing up they used to show this Nutcracker musical cartoon every year on tv around Christmas time, makes me feel so nostalgic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKuoqPqMB4o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she'll love that! You should totally make a tradition out of it! That cartoon is adorable. I love seeing all the different renditions that have come from it.

      Delete
  3. I've seen it too many times to count! LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I child, I saw the Nutcracker performed by the Royal New Zealand Ballet (amongst many other exquisite ballets). It was enchanting.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's lovely! I have to make a point of seeing it in a different country sometime!

      Delete
  5. Ha - just seeing this now + had posted on it yesterday as well :) Definitely one of my favourite holiday traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I posted it just this past Tuesday! I can't wait see it soon!

      Delete
  6. I just love the Nutcracker!
    It is my Christmas Tradition to listen Tchaikovsky's music.
    Eleven years ago I went for the first time to see the nutcracker ballet by Praha's Ballet. This year we went to see it by Bangkok City Ballet. Not so professional but still magic!

    Thank you for this blog - I love the atmosphere here.
    -- and have a beautiful christmas!

    Ruut

    ReplyDelete