8.04.2012

getting settled...



Rick and I finally ordered some livingroom furniture, but as we wait for it to arrive (we had no idea about the whole 8-10 weeks thing, ugh...), all we have set up for now is this wonderful bed from West Elm. I love the soft, tufted headboard to lean back on while reading a book, or catching up on blog reading. My old bedroom furniture had a hard back, which meant propping up a whole bunch of pillows every time.

Funnily enough, the wall colour in in the photo is actually what I would like it to be, compared to the current greenish-beige. I'm now on the hunt for the perfect shade of grey paint... i'd love any recommendations if you have them! I'm also keeping an eye out for some lovely bedding, probably a mix of dark and light greys, along with white of course. I think Rick is concerned that it's going to be neutral city in here, but once we get side tables, accessories, and some framed prints going, it should all (hopefully) come together.

I also desperately want to re-stain the banister, and a similar railing that seperates our kitchen from the living area. It's the basic builder railing, oak with a glossy coating. I'm not a fan. I'm thinking sanding it down, and then restaining with a darker, espresso coloured stain, but i'm nervous to attempt it. I should probably do a little more research first, ha. Have any of you attempted to do this before on an oak railing? I'd love to hear about it.

Each little change feels like a step forward to making it our own. I like that.

Update: A lovely reader was asking about which headboard exactly that we have. We purchased the king-size "Diamond Tufted Headboard" in Dove Grey, which you can find here (In Canada we ordered it in from the store in Toronto).

19 comments:

  1. this is lovely! i can't wait for you to start telling us about the many memories you've made in this beautiful home of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocee, I can't wait either!

      Delete
  2. As long as your railing is actual wood, you shouldn't have a problem sanding/staining...However, it is a pretty big pain in the butt to do it manually. If you don't have an electric sander find a harbor freight, I got one for $10 and I have done three large pieces of furniture no problem! I am on the lookout for the perfect grey paint too, so far I have found a lot gorgeous colors by Benjamin Moore. Can't wait to see the furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I think the sanding is what will take the longest in this case. I've heard good things about Benjamin Moore's greys as well – i'll have to pay them a visit.

      Delete
  3. I love the headboard!!!! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that headboard! I never thought about how nice it would be to have a tuft headboard for those in-the-bed reads. I always find myself propping up my wooden headboard with pillows, it would be nice to just lay back and not worry about doing that and having to readjust all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it! So much better and easier on the back, lol...

      Delete
  5. wow, looks great! that headboard is amazing :)
    good luck with the paint hunt! grey is probably one of my favorites in interiors right now.
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheyenne! We currently have a few grey choices taped up on the wall... but I need to look at a few other places still.

      Delete
  6. Hi Daniella, love the headboard could you share the link with us? I'd love to purchase the same one. P.S totally in love with your blog. DUH :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gris, I just updated the post where you can find a link to the headboard on their website – should have included that before, lol. Thanks about the blog, glad you like it!

      Delete
  7. Fine Silver from Home Depot in the CIL colour selection .we just used that in our home and it really brightened up the place but is not too dark, not overly grey and not too white. it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just about to head there at noon and take a look around. I'll look for that colour.

      Delete
  8. Daniella - Your photography is wonderful. Have you got a Benjamin Moore near you? I have actually used that headboard in a home and had painted the walls Steel Wool, it's a little more masculine touch. It looks nice in a large open loft. However, my recommendation is Coventry Grey or Harbour Grey. I might also recc that you look at Rockport Grey, and, finally, if you actually DID want a little tinge of green, look at Metropolitan.

    These all work well with that headboard.

    Enjoy your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks very much Christina! I was actually about to go to Benjamin Moore next, I checked out all the other places... Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc., and the grey selections are pretty slim. I know Rick would love something more masculine anyway ;) I'll check out your recommendations! Thanks!!

      Delete
  9. Daniella - Your photography is wonderful. Have you got a Benjamin Moore near you? I have actually used that headboard in a home and had painted the walls Steel Wool, it's a little more masculine touch. It looks nice in a large open loft. However, my recommendation is Coventry Grey or Harbour Grey. I might also recc that you look at Rockport Grey, and, finally, if you actually DID want a little tinge of green, look at Metropolitan.

    These all work well with that headboard.

    Enjoy your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Daniella - your photography is absolutely wonderful.

    Have you got a Benjamin Moore near you? If so, check out Coventry Grey and Harbour Grey. I used that headboard for a client in a large loft, and we painted the walls Steel Wool - kinda masculine, but nice with lots of light. You might also look at Rockport Grey (although it does tend to turn pinkish, depending on your light, or if you actually did want a little green tinge to it, look at Metropolitan Grey. All BM colors.

    Enjoy your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Daniella,

    I just wanted to mention that I recently bought the Swiss Dots duvet and shams in slate, from West Elm. It cost me just under $200 and I got it shipped to me from the Toronto store.

    I really love them so far. Soft, quality, and very glamorous, in such a subtle way. My bedroom curtains are really vibrant (pinks, greens, yellows) and my walls are white, so that deep neutral really complimented the room, tied it together.

    Anyway, I recommend it, if you decide you want to go dark for the main part of the bed coverings.

    Also, I almost forgot to mention: your photography is improving with every day, it seems. I love these shots of your house.

    ReplyDelete