6.18.2012

lately...




Lately i've been wading through piles of boxes, getting caught up in all the dust that suddenly appears when you clear everything out. The place is looking more and more empty though – just 10 more days. The view is beautiful here, and i'll miss the little italian grocer beneath the lofts, but it never really felt like home. I'm ready to move on out of here!

I learned a pretty neat tip from a co-worker today that I thought I'd share here... being a graphic designer I have a tendency to shy away from colour and become quite paralyzed when it comes to committing to decor. There's just too many options and I get bored fast! We were talking about paint colours and how she also finds it hard to commit, but then she tried out this trick...

Pick your neutral grey or cream that you love for the walls, and then take every paint chip at the store that has the same "match symbol" (you know how paint brands all do that to help you match colours? could be all stars, or all flowers?). Keep those paint chips with you in your wallet or purse, and when you're out buying furniture or decor you can match the colour to your batch of paint chips and then you'll always know that everything you pick out will have a good "flow" within your home. I love how well that would help to narrow down my choices, and also prevent me from picking up something that I thought was great in store, but hate when I get it home. Isn't that a neat idea?

16 comments:

  1. that is seriously some good advice, i would have never thought of that!
    thanks for sharing (:
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what my home looks like right now too! We're in the middle of moving from NY to Germany...moving is never fun, but I'm coming to find out moving internationally has its own bucket of problems. Can't wait to get there though! Good luck with your move!

    xx
    Kecia

    http://www.couturezooblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can only imagine the move to another country! Good luck with everything :)

      Delete
  3. You can even make a bunch of empty boxes look pretty in a photograph. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jennie! I'm so happy to get some film back, I love it so much more!

      Delete
  4. Your blog is AWESOME. I like the style you write, it's very beautiful :)

    xoxo
    Susanna
    http://susanna-behindmyeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy summer! Thats a great idea! I loved keeping up with your blog! Love, Jamie Herzlinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Summer to you! I'm glad you stop by :)

      Delete
  6. How exciting. I know that feeling of liking a place alright, but not feeling "at home" there. I hope you feel at home in your new place.

    That is a great paint tip. When my mom and I paint for people, we make color swatches of each of their colors so they can take them along when they go shopping. It helps with everything from rugs to quilts to art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think we'll be able to make this house definitely feel like a home. That's great that you make up colour swatches for your clients too, it's such a great idea!

      Delete
  7. That IS really good advice. I know the feeling of decor-colour-commitment-phobia all too well. We keep it neutral and add colour with low commitment pieces like pillows and artwork...but in the future I will be using this tip FOR SURE! Hope your packing is going well! xo...ps: gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, i'm so bad Kinga, even my photos were black and white! lol... and then I didn't even hang them up in the loft, hahaha. Thanks again for the boxes! They're perfect for all my glass stuff!

      Delete