5.01.2012

for the love of film {no.10}...












Hi everyone. Today i'm excited to finally feature another blogger for our For the Love of Film series. I've been searching high and low for some new people to feature, so I was happy to stumble across Hannah's blog, Another Feather. Hannah creates some absolutely stunning jewlery, inspired by "by her travels, the mountains, and an appreciation for well made objects and heirlooms". It's that travel inspiration that I fell in love with after discovering her beautiful film photos featuring Scotland, a place I love dearly. I felt strangely connected with these photos being there so many times to visit my Granny and family, and taking similar photos of some of the exact same spots. I find it so fascinating to see the same locations captured through someone else's eyes. I could never tire of travel photos... and film ones at that!

Enjoy Hannah's answers to my questions below, and be sure to pop by Hannah's shop, Another Feather and her blog, here.

First off, what do you love the most about film photography? 
I love the unknown, the element of surprise, and the planning involved with shooting film. When using film I feel like you make more conscious decisions each time you take a photo, which makes for much more intentional images. Also theres nothing like picking up film and thumbing through photos you forgot about, reliving a special moment or emotion, and choosing successful images. It's like christmas morning each time!

What kind of camera(s) do you use? Do you have a preferred brand/type of film?
I shoot with a Canon EOS 650 with multiple lenses. It was my grandfather's and the first camera I learned to take a photo with when I was younger. Years later my grandfather mailed it to me before I left for a trip, with a note saying all he wanted me to bring him home from my travels was a bag of shot rolls of film. I've used it ever since. I've been playing with different films to get a better feel for what I like, or gives me the results I desire. Most recently I've been using an old bag of expired film an artist in Scotland gave me while I was there on a trip.

What would you say inspires your style the most?
The time and place and emotions I am feeling that moment.
The way I view things as an artist and maker.
Traveling.
The subject matter or lighting is always inspiration as well.

How do you go about setting up the perfect shot? Do you have any photography "rules" that you keep in mind?
I never use a flash. I look through the view finder, take a moment to breathe and adjust focus, look away, look back, and if I still think it's interesting or lovely, I snap the photo.

What would be your best tip for beginners?
Appreciate the permanence of the physical photo you just took, each time you hear the click of the shutter. But play, take risks, sometimes the random last photo that you took just to finish the roll is the one that turns out best!

Who are some of your favourite photographers?
I love to look at the images of Brian Ferry and Nikaela Marie. Anne Schwalbe also does some really nice work.

What would be your dream location or subject to photograph?
Iceland. I can't get over all those blues, and think they would translate so beautifully on film.

Where do you develop your film?
I am still searching for a local development shop I am happy with.

And lastly, do you have a favourite photo you've shot so far?
Maybe this one even though it's simple, because it holds three of my favorite things: the mountains, the ocean, and snow, all bleeding into one another.


Thank you Hannah!

Photos: Edinburgh, Glasgow, The Highlands, London, and Paris by Hannah Ferrara of Another Feather

4 comments:

  1. love love love the fourth one! so beautiful.
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots are so, so stunning! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplicity of composition is so calming. Beautiful work Hannah and thanks for sharing Daniella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooove this series, it is so inspiring! (as are your film pictures)

    ReplyDelete