4.06.2012

healthier habits + steel cut oats...



So... this is sort of a long post, you've been warned, lol.

Earlier this year when I participated in the Whole Living Action Plan I felt great. I was eating cleaner, exercising more, and sleeping better, but somewhere around February there was a lot going on and I sort of fell off track. Recently though, I came to the conclusion that those type of healthy habits I learned from the Action Plan should really be a lifestyle change, not just a one-month cleanse.

I've been looking at all my meals now and asking, how can this be more nutritional? Is there something I could add like nuts, seeds, or greens? Or is there something I can take away, like dairy, sugar, salt? Its really helped me get back on track this week with eating healthy, whole foods, and avoiding anything that's not going to do me any good nutrition-wise. I'm exercising and inspired again, and I love that feeling!

Frankly, i've liked the whole topic of holistic nutrition for a while now, and learning about what things I can do to lead a healthier lifestyle has always been interesting to me, it's just a matter of follow-through. I came across two blogs this week, "The Healthy Ginger" and "Hol-Fit" which really helped with the whole motivation and inspiration thing. If your looking for the same, i'd definitely recommend checking these two out. Lots of great information and recipes from these gals!

I've also decided to mix in some Instagram photos with my film shots here on the blog, so I can post a little more often, and also share healthy tidbits or bursts of inspiration on the go. I know what you're thinking... it's the totally opposite of film, lol... but for some odd reason I like my Instagram shots better than using my digital camera right now. Either way, I hope you'll like the mix.

Today I decided it was time to kick the ol' package of instant apple cinnamon (and sugar) oatmeal, and start making steel cut oats for breakfast with real, fresh ingredients. Steel cut oats are way less processed than instant/rolled oats (which is why they take longer to cook), as they include the whole grain groat (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which is cut into pieces. They're rich in B-vitamins, calcium, protein, magnesium, and fiber, and because they're less processed they take longer to digest, helping you feel fuller, longer. There seems to be quite a few ways to make them, including soaking them overnight or cooking them in the crockpot, but today I just cooked them the regular way, adding some simmered, softened apple, almonds for crunch, a teaspoon or two of cinnamon, and a little organic maple syrup to slightly sweeten. Pretty delicious if you ask me!

Hope you all have a happy and healthy weekend... and have a great Easter too!

Photos: My own, using Instagram (@daniellamz)

17 comments:

  1. I've been feeling precisely the same way - I've requested Phaidon's giant India Cookbook from the library, for inspirational vegetarian meals.

    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That a great place to start by cooking more vegetarian meals!

      Delete
  2. this looks so delicious, i have to try it some time! i've been wanting to live and eat more healthy for a while now, but due to lack of time i haven't yet. but when it comes to healthy living, one shouldn't make any excuses!

    thank you for posting those links, they're very inspiring (:
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all about time isn't it? I think it's key to plan ahead. If I can sit down on a sunday, plan what i'll eat for the week and get all my healthy groceries together, it's MUCH easier to stay on track!

      Glad you like the blog links!

      Delete
  3. My favorite way to make them is in the rice cooker; the night before, put 1/3 cup oats, 1 cup liquid (any sort of milk or water combination), and whatever dried fruits you'd like in the insert of the rice cooker. Store in the fridge overnight. Put in rice cooker, press go! (if you have a fancier one than I do, use the porridge setting and watch it the first time to figure out timing). Mine takes 15 minutes and the oats on the bottom are quite pleasantly caramelized and delicious. I add toppings: yogurt, ricotta, flax, maple syrup, nut butters, honey, any of the above to make it a complete meal with protein/fat/carbohydrates/fiber. Enjoy! (yum)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of using a rice cooker, great idea!

      Delete
  4. I really like the idea of mixing instagram with film on the blog, I do it too. I have never cared too much about healthy eating, I admit. But I need to change soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magali, glad to hear it!

      Maybe you'll find some inspiration here ad I post more healthy tips? lol!

      Delete
  5. I love steel cut oats! And I agree, sometimes I like my instagram photos the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because they kind of look analog/creative too, hahaha... a digital camera is just too easy sometimes!

      Delete
  6. Healthy eating is so important to me…….I really do believe that you can self-medicate with food too for many different ailments.
    Don't feel bad about not only shooting film, I sometimes have to use digital shots or I would just not get the opportunity to blog as often as I want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. You really can fix a lot of issues with a healthier diet!

      Glad you like the instagram shots as well!

      Delete
  7. I completely agree: healthy eating should imply a lifestyle change, because that's the only way you can get the results you're looking for in the long run, and this is the only way to do it if you want to lead a healthy life. I hope you had a wonderful Easter, Daniella. xo
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's important to remember as well, getting results in the long-run of things!

      Hope you had a great Easter too :)

      Delete
  8. i'm going to have to find some fun ways to add a few more healthy things to my eating habits. right now i'm still fixated on easter candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there was SO much chocolate around! Somehow I managed to only have a little bit! lol...

      I'll be posting more tips here, so hopefully you'll find it helpful!

      Delete
  9. Yay! I totally know the feeling! I went through this myself but you know what? it's all about baby steps! I'm taking it nice and slow too and it's all about making smarter decisions one step at a time, right? =). So glad you are re-motivated! I've been loving eating healthier and more organically!

    ReplyDelete