9.26.2011

a new week...


Hello everyone, Happy Monday! This week as Fall slowly creeps in, i'm looking forward to focusing on wellness and a good night's sleep. I've created a schedule for myself, and hope to just really focus on making the right choices. A friend and I were talking about how if you flip through all the fitness magazines or websites, information always varies from one day to the next. One day a single study can send people bolting for some superfood, and the next day, too much of that food can cause all kinds of problems. I think it's important to just get simple... to favour fruits, veggies and grains over sugar, meat, dairy, and processed foods. Easier said than done I know, but I think it's mostly the planning part. Eating healthy isn't rocket science, right? It's just planning to have those foods readily available once hunger strikes. That's what i'm trying out this week, starting with lots of warm water...

We all know the benefits of drinking water - flushing out toxins, restoring moisture, hydrating skin, etc., but it's best to drink it warm rather than cold. Cold water can actually over-stimulate the kidneys, and frankly I find it harder to drink (although we're all different - you may prefer cold). There's something about ice cold water crashing into my stomach that doesn't feel too great. Room temperature or hot water on the other hand - no problem. Drinking a glass first thing in the morning really helps, as it's good to replenish what you've lost overnight, and i've also been slowly trying out all different kinds of herbal tea to see what I like best. The simplest approach though? A glass with a slice of lemon in it. Super easy, and adds a bit of a flavour too.

I actually don't have any fruit juice or pop in the fridge unless I have guests over, because I find I just won't drink it and 3/4 of the jug goes to waste. I prefer water, but haven't been drinking nearly enough!

What about you? Do you prefer hot or cold water? Are you drinking enough?

Photos: By Liz Risby and Elena {Pretty Light}, both on Flickr

15 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely post!!! I drink green tea most of the day, or water. It is harder for me to drink enough of cold water and I love tea! Have a beautiful week!

    Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't know that about cold water... I prefer mine at room temperature, but that is only because I have sensitive teeth, anything too cold gives me aches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy cold water sometimes. Living in Florida keeps things a bit warm but I love my tea! I would drink tea all day if it weren't for my tiny bladder.

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin - Harder for me too, i've been getting into Strawberry White Tea lately... loving it!

    Britt - Yeah, cold water is a bit harsh on the insides, depends what your doing though, because some people say cold is a must after exercising, but I always feel better drinking warmer water. The teeth thing would definitely deter me too though!

    Angel - Hahaha... that happens to me too when i'm drinking so much water... worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love cold water growing up in Texas, but in the last few years, it's too much for me, just like you describe. I'm a room temperature girl all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh I never drink enough water... it's terrible!! But I'm trying... and I'm definitely a room temperature girl all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never seemed able to drink as much water as I should until we started mixing in some Crystal Light! Now we always have a pitcher or two in the fridge (along with our Brita pitcher of filtered water) to quench our thirst! I prefer chilled water, but I don't really like ice cold water unless I've been exercising. Otherwise, I find I spend entirely too much money on Teavana and local co-op loose leaf teas that I drink all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to start drinking more water! I don't know why I have so much trouble with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually prefer room temperature water. Sometimes if I drink ice cold water while working out it will give me muscle cramps. However, during the summer, I tend to add the ice to it just to cool down. And you are so right about having the right things readily available. Eating right takes a lot of forethought. But it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a room-temperature water drinker! I have a bottle of water everywhere I go.. and I have read its healthy to drink one glass of water just before shower! so I do that as well!... I quitted coffee 2 years ago when I found out I was pregnant and ever since then only decaf tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Water is my favorite thing and best beauty secret! I drink it all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems a lot of people prefer room temperature water! Makes sense too! It's something that we could all use more of I think...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I drink a lot of water - also at room temperature - but it gets cancelled out by the amount of diet coke I drink (which I really need to cut back on).

    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  14. oH yes drinking water is great, (at room temp. or warm) it acts like a magnet for toxins. Also you are spot on in regards to having the food 'readily available' when hunger strikes, actually it is something I should think more about. Great posts! thanks for sharing :)
    Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hot tea... it's my favorite afternoon treat, hands down! I enjoy a little caffeine fix with some Earl Grey, cream, and honey but if we're talking healthy options, simple green or herbal tea does the job just as well.

    ReplyDelete